The number of novel coronavirus cases rose to 606 on Wednesday with 10 deaths being recorded across the country, a health ministry official said. The number of active cases is 553. The Centre asked the states to take all possible steps to ensure that people do not suffer for essentials due to the 21-day lockdown enforced across India.
Here are the top developments on COVID-19 outbreak:
- The Centre has asked state governments to set up a round the clock control room with a helpline number at its headquarters and in each of its districts to ensure seamless availability of essential commodities.
- Union health minister Harsh Vardhan chaired a GoM meeting to assess the situation.
- 29 private laboratories with over 16,000 sample collection centres have been registered for testing.
- The Centre asked state governments to resolve immediately the problems being faced by the e-commerce sector in delivering essential goods amid lockdown.
- The Election Commission has allowed the use of indelible ink by health authorities to stamp individuals for home quarantine.
- Walmart-owned Flipkart and Amazon India’s Pantry has been suspended temporarily as India entered a 21-day lockdown.
- A 65-year-old Ujjain-based woman died of coronavirus at a hospital in Indore, becoming the first COVID-19 fatality in Madhya Pradesh.
- Maharashtra reported six new coronavirus cases, taking the number of such cases in the state to 122.
- Kerala government confirmed nine new COVID-19 positive cases, taking the toll number to 118 .
- Five new coronavirus cases were reported in Delhi in past 24 hours, pushing the number of total cases to 35.
- Four people, hailing from Bandipora district, tested positive for coronavirus, taking the the number of cases in Jammu and Kashmir to 11.
- The number of coronavirus patients rose to 31 in Punjab with two persons contracting infection in the state.
- A 21-year-old nurse from Panipat, working for a private hospital in Gurgaon, has tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total number of infected persons in Haryana to 17.
- Neuberg Diagnostics starts COVID-19 testing in Chennai, Tamil Nadu lab after ICMR nod.
- All students from first to ninth standard in Tamil Nadu will be promoted considering the closure of schools to prevent coronavirus spread.
- The Uttar Pradesh government banned manufacture and sale of pan masala, saying the move will help stop the spread of coronavirus.
- Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik announced four months’ advance salary for doctors, nurses and other paramedical staff.
- Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar announced that all ration card holding families in the state will get an assistance of Rs one thousand each.
- Spain overtakes China with death toll due to coronavirus rising to 3,434.
- Britain’s Prince Charles has tested positive for the novel coronavirus after he displayed “mild symptoms” and is now self-isolating.
- US embassy in India said it is arranging flights to take Americans back home.
- China downgraded the risk level of the coronavirus in its epicentre Wuhan from high to medium and resumed bus services within the city.
- Iran will ban intercity travel within days as it finally gets tough with the coronavirus that has killed more than 2,000 people.
- Pakistan suspends domestic flights as coronavirus cases rise to 990.
- Nepal has reported its third case of coronavirus in a 32-year-old man who returned from Qatar as the government has announced a week-long nationwide lockdown.