NEW DELHI: The Union health ministry on Saturday said it is focusing on high disease-burden hotspots and working in tandem with states to implement rigorous contact-tracing, community surveillance and containment strategies as the number of novel coronavirus cases crossed the 900-mark in the country. Meanwhile, the number of coronavirus cases climbed to 918 in India, while the death toll remained at 19.
Here are the top developments on COVID-19:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the creation of an assistance and emergency situation relief fund “PM CARES” Fund where people can contribute and help in the government’s fight against coronavirus.
- The Centre asked the state governments and Union Territory administrations to utilise the State Disaster Response Fund, to which Rs 29,000 crore has been allocated for the next fiscal, for providing food and shelter to migrant workers hit by the 21-day lockdown.
- Union home minister Amit Shah said the central government has committed all support to migrant workers during the 21-day lockdown announced to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
- The railways has manufactured a prototype of an isolation ward for treating coronavirus patients by converting non-air-conditioned train coaches.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla requested MPs to allocate Rs 1 crore from their MPLADS fund to local authorities to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.
- Maruti Suzuki India said it is planning to rapidly scale up production of ventilators with intention of reaching a volume of 10,000 units per month in partnership with AgVa Healthcare.
- Kerala: Six fresh coronavirus cases were reported in Kerala, taking the total number of people undergoing treatment in the state for the deadly virus to 165.
- Uttar Pradesh: Six people, including an 11-year-old girl, tested positive for coronavirus in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district, taking the tally of such cases here to 23.
- Madhya Pradesh: A Border Security Force officer in Gwalior and a man in Ujjain tested positive for the novel coronavirus, taking the number of COVID-19 patients in Madhya Pradesh to 35.
- Maharashtra: The number of deaths of coronavirus patients in Maharashtra rose to six as an 85-year-old doctor who died the day before was confirmed to have contracted the virus infection. The number of coronavirus patients in the state rose to 167.
- Haryana: The number of coronavirus cases in Haryana increased to 20 on Saturday, with a person testing positive for the disease in Faridabad.
- Karnataka: Ten new positive cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Karnataka, taking the total number of the affected in the state to 74
- Arunachal Pradesh: The Arunachal Pradesh government has designated the 500-bed Tomo Riba Institute of Health and Medical Sciences at Naharlagun as a dedicated centre for treating COVID-19 patients.
- Punjab: The Punjab government has geared up to strengthen its medical infrastructure by scaling up capacity to test for coronavirus and buying new ventilators. Punjab has reported 38 coronavirus cases so far.
- J&K: Seven people tested positive for coronavirus in Kashmir, taking the total number of cases in Jammu and Kashmir to 27.
- Delhi: Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal appealed to migrant workers not to leave Delhi due to the coronavirus lockdown, assuring them that his government is arranging food and shelter for them.
- Uttarakhand: A 21-year old man, who recently returned from Dubai, tested positive for coronavirus here on Saturday, taking the total number of cases in Uttarakhand to six.
- Andhra Pradesh: The 14th positive case of coronavirus was reported in Andhra Pradesh on Saturday.
- The number of deaths around the world from the novel coronavirus stood at 27,989 on Saturday, according to a tally compiled by AFP at 1100 GMT from official sources.
- The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in Britain has risen to 1,019 up from 759 the day before.
- US President Donald Trump invoked a wartime law to force “time-wasting” auto giant General Motors to make ventilators to save lives, amid a shortage of the critical medical equipment to deal with the mounting coronavirus cases in America. The US now has over 104,000 cases of the virus, the most in the world.
- The death toll from coronavirus in Spain surged over 5,600 after a record 832 people died in 24 hours, and the number of infections soared over 72,000.
- Iran announced that 139 more people had died from the novel coronavirus, raising the official death toll to 2,517 in one of the world’s worst-affected countries.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said the country is at a critical stage in dealing with coronavirus infections but not at a point to declare a state of emergency. Japan has 2,180 confirmed cases, including 712 from a cruise ship, with 59 deaths.
- China’s coronavirus epicentre Hubei province will resume domestic flight operations from Sunday.
- The US has announced USD 174 million aid to 64 countries including USD 2.9 million to India.